The Royal Academy of Engineering understands that making sure your personal information is kept safe is important to you and that you care about how your personal information is used and shared online. We respect and value the privacy of everyone who visits this website, www.ingenia.org.uk (Our Site) and for this reason We do not collect personal information about you unless you complete the 'Subscribe' section of Our Site and provide us with your details to subscribe to the email newsletters and/or the printed magazine (see section 4, below).
1. Definitions and Interpretation
In this Policy, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
“Personal information” means information that is about you and identifies you. In this case, it means information that you give to Us via Our Site (i.e. your name, e-mail address, your status and the content of any message you submit on the 'Contact Us' page of Our Site).
“We/Us/Our” means the Royal Academy of Engineering, a UK registered charity in England under charity number 293074, whose registered address is Prince Philip House, 3 Carlton House Terrace, London, SW1Y 5DG.
2. Information about us
For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the Royal Academy of Engineering decides how and why your personal information is used. This means that we are responsible for the way your personal information is used and known as a 'data controller'.
Our compliance manager be contacted by email at email@example.com, by telephone on +44 207 766 0600, or by post at Prince Philip House.
3. What does this policy cover?
4. What personal information do we collect?
Other than where you complete the 'Subscribe' page (see below) We do not collect any personal information from or about you.
We do not place cookies on your computer or device, nor do We use any other means of data collection.
We will collect and use the following personal information about you if you subscribe to email newsletters and/or the printed magazine using the 'Subscribe' page:
- Your name
- Your email address
- Your occupation (i.e. whether you are a teacher, student or engineer)
- Your postal address should you wish to subscribe to the printed magazine
- Your year of birth and gender identity should you choose to share these with us.
You are not obliged to provide us with any of the personal information described above.
5. How do we use your personal information?
If We do collect any personal information, it will be used and stored securely, for no longer than is necessary in light of the reason(s) for which it was first collected. We will comply with Our obligations and safeguard your rights under the Act at all times. For more details on security see section 7, below.
As noted above, We collect personal information in the circumstances set out in section 5.1.
If you subscribe to email newsletters and/or the printed magazine, we will use your personal information as follows:
- To send you a monthly e-newsletter to the email address provided.
- To send you a quarterly printed magazine to the postal address provided.
We may use your personal information as follows:
- To ensure our content is relevant to you.
- To administer Our Site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes.
Your personal information will remain on our secure database until you inform us that you wish to unsubscribe. To unsubscribe from the printed magazine or change address details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Any and all emails containing your personal information will be deleted no later than 1 month after the matter you contacted Us about has been resolved.
6. Who is your personal information shared with?
We will securely share your personal information with other selected third parties who provide services to us for distribution of the printed magazine, including the printer and mailing house.
We may share your personal information with:
- Other selected third parties who provide services to Us (such as helping us to run Our Site)
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist Us in the improvement and optimisation of Our Site
- Any third parties if We are under a duty to disclose or share your Personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation (including but not limited to in connection with a court order).
7. How and where do we store your personal information and keep it secure?
We take appropriate technical and organisational security steps to try to keep your personal information safe.
We only keep your personal information for as long as We need to in order to use it as described above in section 6, and/or for as long as We have your permission to keep it.
Your data will only be stored in the UK.
8. Your rights?
If you believe that the personal information that we hold about you is inaccurate, you can write to us using the details below to ask us to change the personal information we hold.
If you have any cause for complaint about Our use of your personal information, please contact Us using the details provided in section 9 and We will do Our best to solve the problem for you. If We are unable to help, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (the UK organisation that is responsible for supervising organisations that use personal information).
For further information about your rights, please contact the Information Commissioner’s Office or your local Citizens Advice Bureau.
You have the right to ask for a copy of any of your personal information held by Us (where such data is held). Under the Act, We require the payment of a small fee which will not exceed £10.00.
9. Contacting Us
Please ensure that your query is clear, particularly if it is a request for information about the data We hold about you (as under section 8, above).